3.30.2015

Our master bedroom

I have a design principal I like to share with others and that is when decorating your home, begin with the first place YOU enter your house on a regular basis.  That means, whatever room or space you enter from the outside (like maybe a mud room off the garage, or perhaps your laundry room, etc.).  When you get home each day, whether from taking kids to and from school, or coming home from work, you want whatever room you walk into to make you feel at peace or at the bare minimum, happy to be home.  More on this at a later time.

I have a second theory.  Ready?

I believe that most people ignore their master bedroom when it comes to decorating.  Shocker, right?!  Maybe not.  It's a room guests rarely enter so most of us think this:  "I'll get around to it eventually.  I'll buy a cute bedding set and it will be good enough."  I'm guilty of this, are you?

When Aaron and I designed our floorplan, we designed the master bedroom to be full of light and have an overall sense of peace and calm.  Historically, we don't spend much time in our bedroom (obviously outside of the normal 6-8 hours of sleep we get), so when beginning to decorate, I wanted to make the space feel comfortable and inviting.

Here is what the room looks like without any fluff - and yes, I'm posting pictures of windows covered with paper blinds.  Aaron bought the gray ones and somehow they are different colors - different dye lots I guess.


There is nothing wrong with the way the bedroom looks - it's just lacking love.  But we are still in the process of piecing things together to complete our room.  The chair will be replaced at some point with something slightly less bulky and more stylish, but for now, it's what we have and it will have to do.

Here is a picture where I added a few pieces of decor onto the bedside tables, and as little as they are it makes a big difference is the mood of the room.


There is a little color added with the aqua vase and the bird planter, and the vintage book bundles.  Here are the bedside tables up close.





And then here is a couple shots of my bedding which I love but is totally not practical.



So that is the current state of our master bedroom, it will change over time, of course as all things do.  But for now, I'm happy with the way it looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment